Friday, July 31, 2015

Current Obsession: My Boyfriend's Back

Hey-la, hey-la, my boyfriend's back! 
Alison Tyler recently asked folks about their favorite cover songs. Without a doubt, one of my favorites is My Boyfriend's Back by Mary Buffett, the hit song originally recorded by The Angels in 1963.

The album cover reminds me of the Cruisin' album series of records. My dad collected the Cruisin' set, and I wore them out during my teen years. The Cruisin' series album covers spanned the years from 1955 to 1970, with a bonus album that fell out of linear sequence at the end of the series. Each cover featured a snippet from the life of characters Eddie and Peg as their relationship matures and changes over the years.

  
I've always wondered if the Mary Buffett cover was inspired by Cruisin', since 50s pop culture had become fashionable again during
the 80s.

I remember seeing Mary Buffett's video for the first time on HBO's Video Jukebox, a one-shot music video commercial segment that played between movies.

Unlike MTV, Video Jukebox rotated a very limited number of songs per month, four or less on average, so whenever I heard the opening bar from My Boyfriend's Back playing on the TV, I'd dash into the room to watch the video. Great times!

My Boyfriend's Back (cover) by Mary Buffett, 1984 - YouTube

Yes, the singer is indeed that Mary Buffett. ☺

The video is the early 80s to me. The hair, the clothes, the attitude, and the cheese factor. I took this stuff seriously when I was a kid. (I was eight, I think, in 1984.) I totally wanted that red leather jacket! #$nazzy 

No comments:

Post a Comment